[CentOS] OT: configuring xming to know putty's not in a std. location

Wed Feb 7 22:35:49 UTC 2018
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

On Wed, 2018-02-07 at 14:45 -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Is there some way to do this? I've got the current putty (actually,
> putty-cac), pageant, and plink in my user's Downlods directory - neither
> he nor I have admin authority on his laptop, and Desktop support's
> teleworking today - but I can't seem to find a way to configure xming to
> look there for putty.
>
> Or is it start putty, *then* start xming?

No start xming in passive mode (I don't know xming so don't know how to
do that - you just want to start the xserver and not have it start any
applications on the remote machine).

Start putty with X11 forwarding turned on and connect.

You should now be able to start X programs.

The important thing is that the server needs to be started before
initiating the connection so that a display can be assigned.

Can I suggest an alternative though. I've started using MobaXterm
recently and I'm quite impressed: X11 server, SSH/putty client built
in, GL capable etc.  Home use is free.

P.