[CentOS] Meltdown and Spectre

Mon Feb 12 16:36:04 UTC 2018
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 11:13:57 +0000
isdtor <isdtor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if Red Hat are working on backporting improved
> mitigation techniques and features from newer, 4.14.14+ kernels?
>
> $ grep . /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1:Vulnerable
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2:Vulnerable:
> Minimal generic ASM retpoline $

As it is Redhat has a more comprehensive set of fixes than your 4.14
example above.

For everyone (regardless of microcode etc.) you get PTI and some
additional LFENCE.

For CPUs with microcode support you also get IBRS (restrict speculation)
and IBPB (branch predict barrier).

My understanding is that today for CPUs without microcode support
(most/all since it was revoked) that means slightly less protection (no
retpoline). But for CPUs with support and for Skylake (limited
retpoline usefullness) IBRS+IBPB gives better coverage.

You can view this status in /sys/kernel/debug/x86 (with mounted
debugfs).

The above goes for C6/C7 while Fedora has upstream vanilla stuff.

/Peter