[CentOS] Install CentOS 7 on MBR hard disk

Fri Feb 16 01:26:37 UTC 2018
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 06:45:51PM -0500, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am guessing because my drives were blank and smaller than 2 TB that
> > it defaulted to MBR even when the system had a UEFI BIOS (as long as
> > the firmware is in legacy mode).
>
> Right, the problem seems to arise if you already have partitions on
> your MBR disk. Perhaps Fred Smith can confirm this.

Well,  it's been a couple of years, but as best I recall, I had two
brand-new 1TB drives, intending to use them as RAID-1, and the BIOS was
(should have been, it said it was) in legacy mode. I thought it was
pretty weird that Anaconda wouldn't let me proceed beyond partitioning/
fs creation without setting up the EFI partition.

Somewhat more recently, I got a new system at work, containing Win10
(not a factory installation, but freshly installed by my employer
'cause they don't trust factory installation) and it already had
UEFI in legacy mode by the time I got it. so when I installed C-7
on it, I had none of that garbage about requiring the EFI partition,
it just sailed smoothly past it.

Go Figure!

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.