[CentOS] Install CentOS 7 on MBR hard disk

Fri Feb 16 15:32:46 UTC 2018
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 15 February 2018 at 21:48, Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca> wrote:
> Stephen J Smoogen wrote:
>
>>  OK wild guess on install options as sometimes they will do this but
>>  not say they did it. Try adding inst.gpt=false to the boot line.
>
> Sorry, that didn't work. Nor did installing CentOS 7 without a boot
> loader, chroot-ing into it, and trying to install grub2 manually:
>
> grub2-install /dev/sda --target=i386-pc
> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Hmmm if that didn't work then there is something in the bootup which
keeps telling grub/kernel you are an EFI only system. EL6 would have
installed because EFI support at that point was mainly a "eh oh yeah
we need to cover that?" type thing. EL7 should be clearer on this but
it might have gone the other way.

Can you try to see if Fedora 27 has the same problem? If it has then
this is a problem that upstream needs to fix on EL releases. If it
isn't then I would lean more towards the motherboard/bios combo saying
something which says "my legacy support is iffy.. use EFI".

After that it is usually what is the motherboard/bios level and is it
updated type fixes then.

>>  Thank you for your patience on this.
>
> I didn't realize you were the culprit, so that's OK. ;-)

Well I am not the culprit.. it is just most of my ideas have been
completely useless.