[CentOS] Install CentOS 7 on MBR hard disk

Fri Feb 16 17:35:00 UTC 2018
Jon Pruente <jpruente at riskanalytics.com>

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 5:18 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The only other thing I can think of is that the disk was already
> formatted to GPT. In that case it has to be EFI. [I had a disk which
> was GPT partitioned and removing that was quite a challenge as I had
> done a 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=10' and it still kept
> coming up as GPT. I believe I had to run a different disk command to
> really clean it.]

That didn't get rid of it because GPT keeps a secondary copy of header info
at the end of the drive. To really get rid of it use a tool that wipes GPT
headers, or a full wipe of the drive. gdisk has eXpert mode that has an
option (z) to wipe GPT headers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table#/media/File:GUID_Partition_Table_Scheme.svg