[CentOS] Does Huawei break the license of CentOS?

Tue Feb 20 16:16:35 UTC 2018
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 21:02:59 +0800
Genghuang Wang <wangtianjiao.wang959 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, CentOS team and everyone who cares about CentOS,
>
> Huawei release an Euler OS, which is an distribution based on CentOS.
> http://developer.huawei.com/ict/en/site-euleros/euleros-introduction
>
> According to CentOS's statement, CentOS is distributed under the
> GPLv2 License. http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7.4.1708/os/x86_64/EULA
>
> The GPL license requires the modified version to be open-source AND
> release in the GPL license, as well.
>
> However, Huawei break the GPL license by close-source and replace the
> license with their proprietary one.

I picked up a few packages from it and they all retain their upstream
License afaict (GPL). In their EULA they also say that a lot is "open
source licensed".

If they use CentOS branding that would be a problem (although not
related to GPL).

If they don't provide source upon request for any/all parts that are
GPL that would be a problem (I have not checked).

Linux distributions don't really have one license, it's a collection of
packages with various licenses...

/Peter