[CentOS] a few simple questions about upgrading an "official" centos 7 release

Thu Feb 22 10:44:38 UTC 2018
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

>   finally, any concerns i should have about upgrading the kernel from
> 3.10 to 4.14 or 4.15, as explained in a number of places like this:
>
> https://www.tecmint.com/install-upgrade-kernel-version-in-centos-7/
>
>   i simply prefer to run a current kernel but i can resist the
> temptation if upgrading that on a centos 7.4 system would introduce
> more problems than are worth it.

The only reason to use a kernel version that isn't provided with the
distro is if the newer kernel provides features that you **NEED**.

Remember, the whole point of something like CentOS is to provide a
stable, solid OS. This requires a whole bunch of testing of the OS as a
whole - and RHEL (and hence CentOS) does all that testing using kernels
it provides. What's more RH will backport critical kernel updates if
appropriate - so it's not the case that an older kernel is lacking in
security.

I seem to remember you said you were going to teach using these
machines - surely you want those machines to be as stable and as
standard as possible to the machines the students will find in the
wild. I would definitely not encourage students to upgrade kernels -
novices sysadmins don't need an extra level of uncertainty in their
life!

P.