[CentOS] RADIUS

Fri Feb 23 11:30:28 UTC 2018
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> > https://www.eduroam.org/
> >
> > I configure wireless once on my device (phone/tablet/laptop) and then can
> > travel to institutions all round the world and use their networks seamlessly.
> > How useless and infeasible indeed.
>
> Well, this country

"this country"?

>  is almost the worst of all countries around the world when
> it comes to internet access.  Though they list a few locations here where you
> supposedly could use their service, I wouldn´t expect anything.  Then there´s
> the question of protecting your privacy.  For example, how much do they pay you
> for allowing them to keep track of your travels?

I think you've got the wrong idea about eduroam. John Hodrien was just
using it as a real world example of WPA2-enterprise in action.  It's a
private network for academic institutions - it allows members of
Universities around the world to gain access to the wifi at a local
University they are visiting.  It's not a public wifi service.

It's a convenience - a very, very convenient convenience. If you don't
want someone tracking where you are, then don't use it. But TBH if you
are visiting another university, then in general your location is
known!

> In any case, it wouldn´t do our customers any good because there aren´t places
> all over the world where they could use our network.

Your customers wouldn't be able to use it anyway

> > A client that can't authenticate gets the network it's provided with by being
> > unauthenticated.  If an unauthenticated client can't have any network access,
> > that's what they get.  Presumably you could drop an unauthenticated machine
> > into a different VLAN.
>
> That would be a problem because clients using PXE-boot require network access,
> and it wouldn´t contribute to security if unauthorized clients were allwed to
> PXE-boot.

So restrict based on MAC address at the PXE boot stage.

The PXE protocol, as far as I can see, has no concept of authorisation
- although its certainly possible to introduce it after PXE has done
its bit (but before imaging or whatever).

You may be better off with authenticating the DHCP using RADIUS, but
it's a complex process which, by its very nature, requires some form of
non-authenticated network access.

P.