[CentOS] RADIUS

Fri Feb 23 11:44:26 UTC 2018
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> There are devices that are using PXE-boot and require access to the company LAN.
> If I was to allow PXE-boot for unauthenticated devices, the whole thing would be
> pointless because it would defeat any security advantage that could be gained by
> requiring all devices and users to be authenticated: Anyone could bring a device
> capable of PXE-booting and get network access.

So authenticate before imaging. Lots of imaging solutions allow that -
even the MS WDS does it.

> As a customer visting a store, would you go to the lengths of configuring your
> cell phone (or other wireless device) to authenticate with a RADIUS server in
> order to gain internet access through the wirless network of the store?

Yes, I do it frequently with my phone.  You do it once and it remembers
it. My phone is more often on wifi than on 4G when I'm in a town.

>  From what I´m being told, everyone already has internet access with their cell
> phones from their phone service provider and is apparently happy with that
> even though the amount of data they can transmit is ridiculously low.  So why
> would anyone do any configuring and have to worry about protecting ther privacy
> when and for using the wireless network of a shop they´re visting?

Because you get faster data rates and in the middle of a big shop you
don't get a phone signal.

> I have no idea what the lengths of configuring might be other than that anything
> you try to do with a cell phone or a tablet is so extremely painful or outright
> impossible that I only touch them when I get paid for it.  Perhaps RADIUS
> authentication is easy with such devices.

In general the user knows nothing about RADIUS - you are presented with
a username/password box when you first connect to the wifi and that is
it.

> > > I´m not using gnome; I recently tried it, and it´s totally bloated,
> > > yet doesn´t even have a usable window manager.
> >
> > OK.  I'm not sure how your opinion of GNOME is really relevant.
> > I'm describing it because it's an example that's probably within
> > reach for both you and me, given that you and I are communicating
> > via a GNU/Linux focused mailing list.
> >
> > I'm sorry my voluntary attempt to help you out wasn't to your liking.
>
> Don´t be sorry, there´s nothing wrong with your help, and I appreciate it.
>
> Just keep in mind when you say that the opinions of users of software X are
> irrelevant, software X itself is as irrelevant as the opinions.

Exactly. "Software X" was an example of how it could be done.  It
doesn't matter what your opinions are about it. Other software is
available. You seem to be taking the examples that people give you as
the only possible way of doing things.

RADIUS is a very mature technology and as such there are lots of ways
of using it.

P.