[CentOS] RADIUS

Fri Feb 23 13:59:30 UTC 2018
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> > Yes, I do it frequently with my phone.  You do it once and it remembers
> > it. My phone is more often on wifi than on 4G when I'm in a town.
>
> And you need to install certificates or enter a password or something?

Yes. Just once, then things are remembered and you can seemlessly roam
between various APs and networks.

> > Because you get faster data rates and in the middle of a big shop you
> > don't get a phone signal.
>
> How do you get faster data rates?  In a shop that even has a 100Mbit internet
> connection and 50 customers using it, you would get only 2Mbit.

4G isn't ubiquitous, 3G/EDGE is still common - and phone networks are
patchy and slow.

> How do the shops prevent you from getting a phone signal?

Why "prevent"? I never said that. Shops are essentially big metal boxes
 covered in wires and fluorescent lights, with the phone transmitter
outside and an indeterminate distance away. Phone signals are weak and
attenuated by the big metal box so your phone gives up on the network.
Shops provide a "free" wifi as a service to its customers (nothing is
free, they get the chance to harvest information about your presence in
the store - if you don't like it, don't use their wifi, it's not
compulsory).

> > In general the user knows nothing about RADIUS - you are presented with
> > a username/password box when you first connect to the wifi and that is
> > it.
>
> Those are particularly painful to enter, but I guess it could be used
> for some customers.

<sigh> yes, mobile devices can be awkward to type on. If they had full
size keyboards they wouldn't be easy to fit in your pocket.

> > RADIUS is a very mature technology and as such there are lots of ways
> > of using it.
>
> Well, I don´t know about any of this.  I found out that RADIUS is probably
> what I could or should use to get things working as intended, so I tried to
> find documentation on /how/ to use it and found nothing but documentation which
> says that it could be used, which I already know.

RADIUS is just the authentication mechanism. Often that is a backend
process and comes along with something that says "authentication can be
provided by LDAP, RADIUS or ....". All the other things like PXE or WPA
or 802.1x or VPN or whatever is frontend technology and use a RADIUS
server to authenticate.

P.