[CentOS] Re-enable grub boot in UEFI (Windows took over it)

Mon Feb 26 09:21:26 UTC 2018
wwp <subscript at free.fr>

Hello Kay,

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 16:27:19 +0100 Kay Diederichs <kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de> wrote:

> On 02/01/2018 12:15 PM, wwp wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >

> > Dell XPS-15-9560 laptop (SSD drive, UEFI, secure boot off).. Windows 10
> > pre-installed, CentOS7 installed in a separate partition and running
> > for months w/o issue. Don't know what happened but at reboot yesterday
> > (not even booted in Windows, just rebooted), grub has disappeared,
> > booted in Windows by default, which apparently has taken over the UEFI
> > boot.
>

> The DELL XPS-13-9360 in its BIOS has an option (named "auto boot
> recovery" or similar - sorry the machine is somewhere else) that is by
> default enabled. I guess you have it enabled as well.
>
> This option is triggered by two unsuccessful boot trials, and leads to
> the loss of the grub menu, and restoration of the (non-grub) "Windows
> boot manager" (or whatever it's called).
>
> After being bit by it once, I disabled it.

At last I could reboot the system, and could verify that, you're right,
there's a Bios option to restore factory settings in case of a (more or
less) parametrable amount of boot failures. I disabled it as well, this
is way too dangerous in case of booting from USB flashdrives (for
instance) and can be enabled back if it's really needed. Thanks!

Regards,

--
wwp