[CentOS] Ubiquiti Model UAP-AC-PRO

Tue Feb 27 13:31:27 UTC 2018
Bill Gee <bgee at campercaver.net>

On Monday, February 26, 2018 11:13:33 AM CST Lamar Owen wrote:

> One of the key things to getting this to work really smoothly is to
> provide local-only, on-site authoritative DNS for the FQDN of 'unifi.'
> Yes, as a top-level domain, the single word 'unifi' needs DNS for the
> AP's to be really happy and for AP adoption to work seamlessly without
> having to ssh into the AP individually and do a 'set-inform' to the IP
> address or FQDN of the UniFi controller.  You can do this with
> /etc/hosts, but putting the zone in there for your loacl recursive
> resolver makes it really seamless.

Hi Lamar -

A few questions about this ...

1) The resolution of "unifi" by DNS is to the machine hosting the Unifi
Controller software.  Is that correct?

2) I tried creating a cname in my DNS like this:

	update add unifi 86400 cname vmserver5.billgee.local

but nsupdate gives me back a "Update failed: NOTZONE" error.  If I make it be
"unifi.billgee.local" then nsupdate takes it without complaint.  I also tried
creating "unifi" as an A record and pointing to the IPv4 address of the
server.  Same return from from nsupdate.

How did you add an FQDN of "unifi" to your DNS?

I only have one access point and it is already in the Unifi Controller, so
this is for me an academic exercise.  Others, though, might find it useful.

It seems to me the purpose of this record in DNS is to allow the access point
to find the Unifi Controller.  Therefore, adding it to the hosts file on other
machines is of no use.