[CentOS] Nvidia maximum pixel clock issue in kmod-nvidia-384.98

Phil Perry pperry at elrepo.org
Thu Jan 4 04:22:13 UTC 2018

On 03/01/18 20:14, Zube wrote:
> On Wed Jan 03 07:43:04 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
>
>>> On CentOS 7 I'm running into an issue with the latest nvidia driver
>>> from elrepo: kmod-nvidia-384.98-1.el7_4.elrepo.x86_64
>>> This driver version seem to introduce issue in detecting video modes
>>> when a monitor is connected using DVI. As soon as the machine attempts
>>> to start X, nothing happens and the monitor goes into sleep mode
>>> reporting that it has 'no signal'.
>>>
>>> It is interesting because it occurs with several monitors, but only
>>> when they are connected through DVI. When using VGA it works like a
>>> charm.
>>> Also it did work without problems with the previous driver version
>>> (kmod-nvidia-384.90-1.el7_4.elrepo.x86_64), with the exact same setup.
>>>
>>> In this case the issue occurs with an Nvidia NVS 315. I don't know if
>>> other nvidia cards are affected.
>
> I can confirm that this happens with the driver downloaded from NVIDIA.
> I had to fall back to the .90 driver to get it to work for all my
> NVS 315s (with dual DVI) running on 7.4 / 6.9.

Thank you for the confirmation. I found a similar report on debian also
relating to NVS315 with the 384.98 driver so I'm guessing this is
hardware specific:

https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg1570324.html

I couldn't find any reports upstream at nvidia so am unsure if they are
aware of the issue. For reference, my GK208 [GeForce GT 730] in my test
system is unaffected by the issue and is working fine with the 384.98
driver over DVI.

There is an updated version 387.34 short-lived branch driver available
in the elrepo testing repository that you could test to see whether the
issue has been fixed in this latest release (only available for el7
currently).