[CentOS] update to Centos7.4: Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi - Not Found

Tue Jan 9 15:34:20 UTC 2018
johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be <johan.vermeulen7 at telenet.be>

Hello All,

updating from Centos7.3 to Centos7.4 rendered one of our laptops unbootable.
EM:
Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi: Not Found
start_image() returned Not Found

How could this occur because of an update and how to fix this?

What I tried is booting from centos usb, chroot to /mnt/sysimage and gave command:
efibootmgr --create --label CentOS --disk /dev/sda1 --loader "\EFI\centos\shim.efi"

This gave no EM, but booting remains impossible.

I have to say I don't know whether to try grub2 of efibootmgr commands.

Greetings, J.