[CentOS] Nvidia maximum pixel clock issue in kmod-nvidia-384.98

Thu Jan 4 20:40:36 UTC 2018
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 04/01/18 09:12, Danny Smit wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 5:22 AM, Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org> wrote:
>> On 03/01/18 20:14, Zube wrote:
>>>
>>> I can confirm that this happens with the driver downloaded from NVIDIA.
>>> I had to fall back to the .90 driver to get it to work for all my
>>> NVS 315s (with dual DVI) running on 7.4 / 6.9.
>
> Thanks. For reference, I did the same test. With the driver downloaded
> from NVIDIA the issues also occurs in my case.
>
>> I couldn't find any reports upstream at nvidia so am unsure if they are
>> aware of the issue.
>
> Where do you look for this at nvidia, in the community forums? Or is
> there another publicly available bug tracking system? (which I was
> unable to find)

I would start by posting in the forums as you did (below). I'm not aware
of an official bug tracker either.

>> There is an updated version 387.34 short-lived branch driver available in
>> the elrepo testing repository that you could test to see whether the issue
>> has been fixed in this latest release (only available for el7 currently).
>
> Surprisingly, I couldn't reproduce the issue anymore. Therefore at
> first sight it seems to be fixed in the 387.34 driver.

Excellent. Hopefully sounds like the issue may already have been fixed.

> I posted a question at nvidia anyway:
> https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1028268/linux/nvidia-maximum-pixel-clock-issue-in-kmod-nvidia-384-98/
> (although I'm not sure it is the right place, still having some issues
> finding my way at nvidia.com, other suggestions or directions are
> welcome of course)

Yes, I would have posted to the same place.

> Will short-lived drivers ever make it into the official elrepo
> repository? Or will only the long-lived drivers be included in the
> official repository?

Normally elrepo only releases the long term branch for Enterprise Linux,
on the assumption EL users will welcome the implied stability over more
frequent and potentially buggy releases.

In this case I had built the current short lived release as a user
requested it for compatibility with the latest CUDA. However, as it is a
short term branch release, it will stay in the testing repository
indefinitely and will not be promoted to the main repository. Once it's
been superseded by a subsequent long term branch release I will likely
just delete it from the testing repo. That said, it should be fine to
use (at your own risk).