[CentOS] Centos 7 add-on serial cards

Mon Jan 29 12:00:02 UTC 2018
Pete Geenhuizen <pete at geenhuizen.net>

On 01/28/18 20:15, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:10:29PM -0500, Pete Geenhuizen wrote:
>> I'm upgrading from CentOS6 to CentOS 7.
>>
>> I run 2 weather stations on C6 and have one of them attached to
>> ttyS0 which is on the motherboard, and the other to ttyS2 which in
>> on an add-on PCI serial card.
>>
>> I'm migrating the weather stations another host running C7 which has
>> a similar hardware configuration.  When I connect the weather
>> station to ttyS0 everything works fine, but when I try to use ttyS1
>> or ttyS2 nothing happens.
>>
>> The OS identifies all 3 ports, and I've already tried several
>> different serial cards several of the slots on the motherboard all
>> have yielded the same result.  I've even gone so far as to try to
>> get this to work on another computer running C7 with the same
>> result, success on ttyS0, but nothing nothing when I try ttyS1 or
>> ttyS2.
>>
>> I'm thinking that this might be a driver issue, but having used
>> several different cards I'm just not sure.
>>
>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Pete
> Wondering if you've tried poking at them with 'setserial'?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked at them with setserial, but I have no familiarity with the
program to know what to change.

setserial -ag /dev/ttyS*
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
     Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
     closing_wait: 3000
     Flags: spd_normal skip_test

/dev/ttyS1, Line 1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x8000, IRQ: 17
     Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
     closing_wait: none
     Flags: spd_normal skip_test

/dev/ttyS2, Line 2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x8400, IRQ: 17
     Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
     closing_wait: none
     Flags: spd_normal skip_test

/dev/ttyS3, Line 3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
     Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
     closing_wait: 3000
     Flags: spd_normal

I changed the closing_wait: on ttyS1 to match ttyS0, but that didn't do
anything, so there must be more to it.

Pete

--
Unencumbered by the thought process.