[CentOS] Xen hypervisor on CentOS 7.4 with modern UEFI server not booting from grub

Wed Jan 31 13:33:15 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 11:51:48PM +0000, Mikhail Utin wrote:
> Why do you need UEFI? It does not add to security "a lot" but was
> designed to block booting software like a "hypervisor". I used my
> Dell notebooks to test our hypervisor identification software
> (HyperCatcher if you are interested) which is bootable
> image. However, I was unable to boot it until I disabled UEFI. As I
> understand it, it will block anything from booting excepting
> original OS. Your Xen and our HyperCatcher are outsiders for UEFI.

You're thinking of Secure Boot, not all of UEFI.

For what its worth, UEFI is what we're stuck with, all modern hardware
uses it (and legacy boot is just a special UEFI bootloader).  Intel
plans to phase out the legacy bootloader in future releases of their
chipsets as well, so it wouldn't hurt to learn how to use UEFI.