[CentOS] cron.daily and others, not running

wwp subscript at free.fr
Mon Jul 2 10:50:15 UTC 2018

Hello Pete,

On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 09:59:17 +0100 Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk> wrote:

> > So, service is running but what could happen that makes /etc/cron.* not
> > being fired?
>
> You don't say, but if this is CentOS 7, then cron.daily/weekly/monthly
> is run using anacron, not cron.

Oops, yes CentOS 7, sorry.

For the record:
# service anacron status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status anacron.service
Unit anacron.service could not be found.
You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root

Sure, anacron is not installed. So how could stuff in /etc/cron.{daily,weekly}
work until June 02?
Probably because it didn't need anacron at all, no? I've looked at yum
history, it doesn't talk at all about anacron (but cronie-anacron) so
it's not been installed and removed).

> It's configured in /etc/anacrontab and is usually run once a day by the
> script /etc/cron.hourly/0anacron - cron.hourly is still run by cron.
> If the script doesn't exist, then anacron won't run and cron.daily etc
> won't happen.

There's a /etc/cron.d/0hourly here:
-------------
# Run the hourly jobs
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly

I'm still not sure that talking about anacron is relevant here, and I
don't know why either if you say it should be anacron in CentOS 7.

Regards,

--
wwp