[CentOS] bad text under KDE and C7

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Jul 12 13:31:10 UTC 2018

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018, Pete Biggs wrote:

> The i915 driver is fairly rock solid - virtually all desktop machines
> these days have on-board Intel video, it's the lowest common
> denominator. And your chipset is not exactly cutting edge stuff.

I bought it used.

> Are there any errors in the logs - either kernel logs or X logs?

I'm not seeing anything that seems very interesting.
Xorg.0.log uses the phrase "falling back" a few times.
I expect that just means I've not inerfered with defaults.
boot.log-20180625 does not contain any of the sequences rap, RAP, ideo, IDEO.
dmesg contains graphics and video, but nothing that seems interesting.

> For some reason you say you disliked Gnome - but does Gnome show issues
> (they use the same video driver)?

I'll try it.

> A long shot is the theme. Are you using some non-standard theme on your
> desktop?

What is a theme?

> Finally, do you have a spare graphics card you could try in the
> machine? (This is just to make sure there's no hardware problem.)

Only as a last resort.
Having already lost a couple graphics cards (not in this machine),
I open the case rarely and with fear and trepidation.

When I hover over text, the black tape effect goes away.
Do graphics cards know about text or hovering?

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards