[CentOS] Widevine plugin for CentOS 6?

Matthew Phelps mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 13 13:34:15 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 9:23 AM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 07/13/2018 08:17 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On 07/13/2018 07:42 AM, Matthew Phelps wrote:
> >> Does anyone know of a CentOS 6 compiled version of the widevine DRM
> plugin?
> >>
> >> With Firefox 60ESR, Netflix (e.g.)  installs a version in your
> >> ~/.mozilla/firefox/(profile name)gmp-widevinecdm/ directory but it has
> the
> >> following library failures in 'ldd' output:

> >> ./libwidevinecdm.so: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.5'
> not
> >> found (required by ./libwidevinecdm.so)
> >> ./libwidevinecdm.so: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14'
> >> not found (required by ./libwidevinecdm.so)
> >> ./libwidevinecdm.so: /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15'
> >> not found (required by ./libwidevinecdm.so)
> >>

> > I have not tried playing DRM things on the CentOS-6 browser .. but this
> > looks like a place to start:
> >
> > https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm
>
> To be clear .. I don't know if the compiled version of firefox we
> shipped has a DRM widevine that will work with netflix .. the error you
> are getting seems to happen because of where:
>
> libwidevinecdm.so
>
> was compiled (against which glibc-devel).
>
> so .. maybe adding in the google widevine and somehow disabling the
> built in firefox one might work .. OR .. disabling the google version
> might work, etc.

It appears firefox downloads the google library each time it is requested,
and the one it downloads is compiled against the wrong libraries.

I realize this is not a CentOS support issue per se, I was inquiring if
anyone in the community, or upstream,  had dealt with this before.

I understand the CentOS 7 version works fine, however we are still running
CentOS 6.

--
Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility