[CentOS] C7, just updated firefox, bugs

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jul 13 15:30:14 UTC 2018

On 07/13/2018 09:03 AM, mark wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> Well .. it is working like the upstream one, that's why its released.
>
>> If we knew about any bugs other than ones that also exist in the RHEL
>> compile, we would not release it at all, we'd fix it.
>
> Ok... first, let me say that I'm anal, and log out of my workstation, not
> just lock the screen, when I leave for the day, so *everything* I have
> running should be shut down.
>
> Now, here's my observations: I see four firefox processes running now. I
> have two windows open, but there's also the original root of them (firefox
> -P --no-remote). I can understand two other processes, since I have to
> firefox windows open, but I don't know why I have three.

Looking at this now .. here is how it appears to work:

there is a wrapper ..

/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox

That is one process .. and it starts the rest
then there is a process called:

-childID 1

That seems to be the main broswer process .. all the things besides the
actual TABS.

Then each tab you open spawns a seperate process .. so the first TAB
(that is your home page) spawns a process with '-childID 2'

Other tabs seem to spawn an other new '-childID <X>'

So, it seems that the main process and the '-childID 1' process stay
forever // and some of the other Child processes start and stop as required.

if you do ps -ef | grep firefox, you can get info on the processes ..
and I an certainly not an expert .. but I don't see any issues.