[CentOS] ssm vs. lvm: moving physical drives and volume group to another system

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 19:10:08 UTC 2018

Cannot get the system storage manager (ssm) to create the raid 1 array
with logical volume and xfs file system in one step.
Cannot find my error or omission.
The 862 kernel crashes on reboot every time.
I went back to simple lvm on raid and everything worked on the first
try --- man page reviews and implementation complete in under 30 mins.
I'm giving myself permission to let it be.  :-)

Tested. Confirmed. Works --

fdisk /dev/sdb
primary partition
partition 1
type: fd
write to disk and exit.

fdisk /dev/sdc
primary partition
partition 1
type: fd
write to disk and exit.

[root at localhost ~]# systemctl reboot
[root at localhost ~]# mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2
/dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
[root at localhost ~]# cat /proc/mdstat
[root at localhost ~]# systemctl reboot
[root at localhost ~]# ssm create --fstype xfs -p alpha -n charlie
/dev/md0 /mnt/data
add the following to /etc/fstab:  /dev/mapper/alpha-charlie
/mnt/data        xfs    defaults    0 0
[root at localhost ~]# systemctl reboot
copy/move/read/write/to/from  /mnt/data --- yes to all.