[CentOS] Which is better? Microsoft Exchange 2016 or Linux-based SMTP Servers?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 18 19:36:56 UTC 2018

On 07/18/2018 01:58 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

<snip>

>> But are you guys really telling you think the calendaring / scheduling
>> for individual users and the main corporate account, etc. .. are working
>> well enough with any Linux solution.
>
> I must confess, my servers are FreeBSD, but I'm quite sure the same is
> doable easily on Linux.
>
> We use for calendars Owncloud (may migrate to nextcloud in some future
> to come). That authenticates against LDAP.

And does that calendar solution allow for things like:

1)  Allowing all users in the organization to see users calendars and
see when they are free to schedule a meeting with them.

2) Allow for designated people to schedule meetings for others (ie, your
secretary/office assistant can schedule meetings for people, etc.)

3) Allow a calendar to schedule shared items .. like meeting rooms,
shared vehicles, etc.  So that people can check those out for specifc
time windows, etc.

Those are just a couple of minor things a lot of solutions can't do

And do they work with imap, etc.  Zimbra does not work very well with
Thunderbird and Lighting (for example) .. many solutions don't work with
Windows or Mac clients, etc.

> For mail we use postfix, dovecot and maia for spam filtering (the last
> harnesses spamassassin, clamav and few other things).
>
> Of course, zimbra you mentioned earlier in the thread (or was it not
> you?), and Kolab provide more corporate-like collaboration environments,
> but I shied away from them as I set myself a goal to give users
> individual handle on spam/virus filtering in email, and neither of them
> has per-user spam preferences (take it with the grain of salt, I might
> have missed something...)
>
> Just my $0.02.

<snip>