[CentOS] bad text under KDE and C7

Pete Biggs pete at biggs.org.uk
Sat Jul 21 13:34:45 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-07-20 at 10:10 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2018, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
> > Check your hardware - all these things might well be symptomatic of an
> > hardware issue.
>
> I'm not at all sure how.
> If it means opening the case,
> hardware issues are likely to occur.
>
> Is there a way to tell whether the video
> player is even using video acceleration?

I don't necessarily mean the video - kernel panics are rarely to do
with something that far removed from the CPU. I mean test the hardware
of your computer.

First, check the memory - MemTest86+ is the tool most people use for
this. Run it on your system and it will highlight memory problems. It
can be found at www.memtest.org - the precompiled versions are tiny and
will fit on a floppy (or memory stick or CD).

If that doesn't detect anything try running a hardware diagnostic -
there's a load on the UBCD (www.ultimatebootcd.com) or Hiren's BootCD (
www.hiren.info).  You might want to download one of those anyway as
they both contain MemTest86+.

None of this needs you to open the case.

P.