[CentOS] bad text under KDE and C7

Pete Biggs pete at biggs.org.uk
Sat Jul 21 23:49:45 UTC 2018

> > I don't necessarily mean the video - kernel panics are rarely to do
> > with something that far removed from the CPU. I mean test the hardware
> > of your computer.
>
> I'll do the testing suggested.  The machine is rather old.
> HP Compaq dc5800 sff (small form factor)
> I would not be surprised if the kernel
> just did not like my motherboard any more.

It is very rare that old motherboards (or rather chipsets) stop being
supported - I have CentOS 7 running on 10, 15 yr old kit. You get a lot
more problems with new motherboards than you get with old ones.

> Even after I figure out the kermal panics,
> the video will still be an issue.

They may well be linked.

> > First, check the memory - MemTest86+ is the tool most people use for
> > this. Run it on your system and it will highlight memory problems. It
> > can be found at www.memtest.org - the precompiled versions are tiny and
> > will fit on a floppy (or memory stick or CD).
> >
> > If that doesn't detect anything try running a hardware diagnostic -
> > there's a load on the UBCD (www.ultimatebootcd.com) or Hiren's BootCD (
> > www.hiren.info).  You might want to download one of those anyway as
> > they both contain MemTest86+.
> >
> > None of this needs you to open the case.
>
> That is good.
>
> My suspicion is that this is a repeat of what sent me to Centos from Fedora.
> (Yes I know the relationship).
> I'm told I couldn't install Fedora on a machine because a
> kernel bug affected precisely one kind of motherboard, mine.
> I'm also told the bug was supposedly fixed,
> but I was never able to run any later Fedora on that machine.

You never mentioned that you had previously had issues with Fedora on
the machine - not even when I suggested you run a Live version of
Fedora to provide different drivers. Not even when you got kernel
panics when booting the live Fedora did you mention this was a known
issue.

P.