[CentOS] Samba issues with Win 10

Tue Jul 3 17:29:09 UTC 2018
me at tdiehl.org <me at tdiehl.org>

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018, mark wrote:

> Walter H. wrote:
>> On 28.06.2018 16:30, mark wrote:
>>
>>> Just ran into a problem: someone with a new laptop, running Win 10,
>>> version 1709, tried to map their home directory (served from a CentOS 6.9
>>> box, and it fails, with Windows complaining that it no longer supports
>>> SMBv1, and if you go to their site, you can install support
>>> for that manually....
>>>
>>> The server running samba can *not* be updated to 7 - we have a lot of
>>> stuff based off it, and most of our users use it, one way or another, so
>>> it's a major thing when we do finally upgrade (or, more likely, replace
>>> the server).
>>>
>>> Has anyone run into this, and if so, any workarounds on the Linux end?
>>>

>> the solution is to enable SMBv1 in Win10 ... look for this in the
>> Knowledge-Base of Microsoft

DO not do that is you care at all about security!!

>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and
>> -disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and
>>
> Our desktop support person found that, but as I said, it is apparently a
> manual install for desktop support. And is it the case that, although
> we've shut off the lower level of security on samba on CentOS 6, that it's
> still smbv1?
>
> Are there any updates? Is there something in, say, the SCL that might
> support smbv2, or is there some way to configure the regular smb to
> support v2?

You did not say what version of samba you are running but I am going to assume
it is not the samba4 rpms that come with c-6.

I would suggest that you remove the currently installed samba rpms and install
samba4-4.2.10-12.el6_9.x86_64 and friends.

I have several customers still running c-6 with the samba4 rpms using win10 and
win server 2016 that work just fine and best of all no smb_1

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org