[CentOS] FYI: Useful to know on pdf printing

Wed Jul 11 13:46:42 UTC 2018
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

This is just an FYI, folks.

We've got this large poster printer. We had some, er, environmental
issues, let us say, and first I had to recreate the .ppd (HP "doesn't
support printing from Linux, and the one a former coworker extracted from
the Mac package... was for a 23", not this 44"). Then... I was trying to
print from a 6.9 box. I hadn't rebuilt the box as C 7, because until the
Incident, I'd been using acroread, so I was looking to see if something
else would print correctly.

Using evince in 6.9, 100% of the time, the printer's web page would tell
me it was receiving, then the job would vanish, and the logs on the Linux
side would tell me broken pipe. I did, however, print a test page from
cups with no problem.

So, yesterday, I updated to6.10, and then installed okular... and it
printed perfectly, with no issues.

Apparently, evince has some issue, either printing a .pdf, or there's
something in my hacked .ppd that makes it gag, but okular is happy with.

Just thought I'd let y'all know, so you could push it onto the stack,
available if you run into this issue.

         mark