[CentOS] Centos 7.5 on Vmware

Mon Jul 2 02:55:10 UTC 2018
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

On 29/06/18 07:03, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I am in the initial study phase of putting together a larger virtual
> server while using Centos 7.5 as the operating system of choice for
> the
>  individual virtual machines.
>
> How do you all like VMware for this, or what other software allows
> for
> the development of virtural servers that use Centos 7.5
>
> Thanks ahead of time for giving me a head start with your
> experiences!!!!

We're using KVM/Qemu on CentOS 7.

We changed away from VMware after a lot of trouble with poorly
supported infiniband drivers
(particularly for RDMA and especially SRP with multipathing to
OpenIndiana based ZFS backend
storage). Infiniband support on CentOS is mature and actively supported
upstream. In comparison with
VMware where we were left to manually install drivers available from
OFED (a complete pain to do
with every upgrade and left us with regular 'Purple Screens of Death').

KVM/Qemu + libvirt also gave us the ability to do live migrations
without having to buy into a
higher level of support on VMware.

On the stack we run Windows Servers/Clients, Linux Servers (CentOS
5,6,7; Arch; Ubunutu).
Virt-Manager allows reasonable graphical tools for management but
there's so much you can do with
scripting through virsh and generally with other OS tools (bash,
python, etc.).

I've recently dabbled with an old piece of hardware to implement a ZFS
on Linux CentOS 7 KVM/Qemu
host. This has worked really well but I haven't put any effort in to
expanding the configuration to
share storage via SRPt or iSCSI Targets even though these options are
possible.

Having made the jump from VMware to KVM/Qemu on CentOS 7, I wouldn't
look back.

Tom

Tom,

That is very helpful.  Thank you very much for such a full response!!!
I will take a look at KVM/Qem

Greg