[CentOS] cron.daily and others, not running

Mon Jul 2 12:52:15 UTC 2018
wwp <subscript at free.fr>

Hello Pete,

On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 12:31:55 +0100 Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk> wrote:

> > For the record:
> > # service anacron status
> > Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status anacron.service
> > Unit anacron.service could not be found.
> > You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root
>
> It's not a service.  As I said, it's run using a script in
> /etc/cron.hourly

Got it!

> > Sure, anacron is not installed. So how could stuff in /etc/cron.{daily,weekly}
> > work until June 02?
>
> Don't know. But that's how cron.daily is processed and has been since
> CentOS7 was released. In fact I think CentOS 6 even used anacron.
> Perhaps you have inadvertently removed an important file like
> /etc/anacrontab or /etc/cron.hourly/0anacron
>
> > Probably because it didn't need anacron at all, no? I've looked at yum
> > history, it doesn't talk at all about anacron (but cronie-anacron) so
> > it's not been installed and removed).
>
> Yes, anacron *is* cronie-anacron
>
> > > It's configured in /etc/anacrontab and is usually run once a day by the
> > > script /etc/cron.hourly/0anacron - cron.hourly is still run by cron.
> > > If the script doesn't exist, then anacron won't run and cron.daily etc
> > > won't happen.
> >
> > There's a /etc/cron.d/0hourly here:
> > -------------
> > # Run the hourly jobs
> > SHELL=/bin/bash
> > PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> > MAILTO=root
> > 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
> > -------------
>
> OK. So that's the bit of cron config that tells it to run the stuff in
> cron.hourly - what is in /etc/cron.hourly/ ? If there is no 0anacron
> file in /etc/cron.hourly/ the cron.daily and cron.weekly will not be
> processed.
>

> > I'm still not sure that talking about anacron is relevant here, and I
> > don't know why either if you say it should be anacron in CentOS 7.
> >
> Because that's how cron.daily etc is processed in CentOS 7.  I'm not
> entirely sure why you don't believe me.

Can't always believe without proof, I'm afraid (I'm sure you've been
answered incorrect/incomplete stuff many times here or elsewhere too).
BUT, your answers and James' brought me some light, now I understand
how it all works and how anacron is a concept that is not a service,
and I thank you all for your help :-), appreciated.

Regards,

--
wwp