[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Announcing the release of Gluster 4.1 on CentOS Linux 6 x86_64

Tue Jul 3 18:59:05 UTC 2018
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 3 July 2018 at 14:42, wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello Niels,
>

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 16:45:37 +0200 Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I am happy to announce the General Availability of Gluster 4.1 for
>> CentOS 6 on x86_64. These packages are following the upstream Gluster
>> Community releases, and will receive monthly bugfix updates.
>>
>> Gluster 4.1 is a Long-Term-Maintenance release, and will receive
>> updates for approximately 18 months. The difference between
>> Long-Term-Maintenance and Short-Term-Maintenance releases is explained
>> on the Gluster release schedule page:
>>   https://www.gluster.org/community/release-schedule/
>
> Funny how for some people, 18 month means long-term. We're not supposed
> to be in the Android (smart) world, are we? Ironical but no
> disrespectful, I'd curious to read about it (how 18 month means
> long-term).

Most  projects that layer ontop of a base OS have moved to the Android
(smart) world model where most software is only "supported" until the
next release. Any long term support is 18 to 24 months, and anything
outside of that is going to be only supported with significant support
contracts. This is pretty much par for the course for everything from
web based projects, open stack, and filesystem projects.

We can say that it isn't fair, how our world works, or a dozen other
things.. (and i have done so... ) but as someone pointed out to me
when I did so "If it doesn't put food in their bellies, roofs over
their heads, or power in their computers... it really doesn't matter."

--
Stephen J Smoogen.