[CentOS] Bash question

Fri Jul 6 14:32:09 UTC 2018
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> I am trying to make a variable containing spaces which is MSG. Then add to
> that variable the argument csv.  The "echo" above prints the write stuff.
> But when I try to use it in the last command its no longer valid and says
> Source file could not be loaded.
>
> What am I missing?  much searching hinted to arrays and using \$ but I
> could not get that to work.

Using arrays to build the command is useful because the arguments are
absolutely defined in each element of the array - i.e. the arguments to
the exec call are correctly built.

I think the simplest way of doing what you want on a command line is to
use two separate variables:

   MSG1="file 2"
   MSG2="csv"
   /opt/libreoffice5.4/program/soffice.bin --headless --convert-to $MSG2 "$MSG1"

P.