[CentOS] Font related problems with recent FF 60.1

Mon Jul 16 15:48:21 UTC 2018
Kay Schenk <kay.schenk at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 5:36 AM, James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>
wrote:

> Kay Schenk wrote:
> >
> > When I start FF from command line, I'm getting a lot of errors similar to
> > these --
> >
> > Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> > Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
> > Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> > Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
> > Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 84:
> > Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as
> > expected
> > Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 84:
> > Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as
> > expected
> > Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 93:
> > Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as
> > expected
> > Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line 93:
> > Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as
> > expected
> > Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line
> 102:
> > Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as
> > expected
> > Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf", line
> 102:
> > Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as
> > expected
> > Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 33:
> Having
> > multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
> > Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/40-nonlatin.conf", line 33:
> Having
> > multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
> >
> > This version of FF doesn't seem to be happy  with my current font setup
> in
> > CentOS 6.10. 😕
>
> This is probably because Firefox 60.x uses its own build of gtk3 on el6
> - and I guess there is an incompatibility between gtk3 fontconfig and
> the native el6 fontconfig ?
>
> Try editing /usr/bin/firefox and adding the line:
>
>    export
> FONTCONFIG_FILE="$MOZ_LIB_DIR/firefox/bundled/etc/fonts/fonts.conf"
>
> just before the 'exec' line at the end of the script
>
> James Pearson

​James,
Hi and I think you are right on with this analysis. I suspect my
fontconfig  utilty isn't working correctly to add new fonts or maybe
Mozilla doesn't install in the right config area. When I start up FF 52.8,
no error messages about fonts. The de-install seemed to correct this, among
other things.

In answer to Liam's question re gedit -- then answer is NO -- no bad
output.​

I am on 32-bit CentOS 6.10 at the moment. I HAD to switch back to FF 52.8
because 60.1 just really wasn't working. So, I won't be doing any more
testing with 60.1 *for a while*.

MzK

"Less is MORE."