[CentOS] Centos 7 and RAM

Tue Jul 17 04:59:53 UTC 2018
Alice Wonder <alice at domblogger.net>

On 07/16/2018 04:41 PM, Jay Hart wrote:

>> On 17 July 2018 at 09:24, Jay Hart <jhart at kevla.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What would the recommended minimum amount of RAM be, to run Centos 7.
>>> 16GB???
>>>

>> Jay, it helps us help you when you give more information.
>>
>> I have CentOS 7 running happily on 4GB. My presumption - based on
>> experience, extrapolation, and google - is that it will also run with 64TB.
>>
>> Anything between those numbers should be good.
>>
>> Cheers
>> L.
>
> L, The use of this machine would be as a home server running as a web and email server, two users,
> light use.  My current server has 4GB, but I'm thinking of getting a new box and if I can afford
> it, figured I'd get 16GB vice 8.

I also run it on a quadcore XEON with 16GB as a general dev machine
including LAMP stack and it is very fast on that setup.

Most of the time, only a few of the cores are used and when I have
looked at memory usage it is never anywhere nearing using up the 16GB.

For a new box I would recommend 16GB though just because the cost
difference between 8 GB and 16 GB isn't that great unless you are on a
really tight budget (as I usually am) and even then, if you can find a
way to go 16 GB do it, because it helps future-proof the box so it is
usable for many years into the future.