[CentOS] Which is better? Microsoft Exchange 2016 or Linux-based SMTP Servers?

Wed Jul 18 18:58:18 UTC 2018

On 07/18/18 13:27, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> I specifically meant setting up and running email services on linux is
>>> not
>>> for the feint of heart and delivers little real value considering the
>>> plethora of free and commercial email services available.
>>
>> Andrew, you should understand that you are talking to experts in Linux
>> here. And even I (and I'm not considering myself an expert in Linux)
>> have no trouble to set up mail server on Linux (with all blows and
>> whistles like spam/virus filtering, etc).
>>
>> So, Mark meant to say your posts are offensive to Experts on this list.
>>
>> Please, take a note of it.
>>

> So, I don't think anyone can call me a 'non linux' guy :)
>
> But are you guys really telling you think the calendaring / scheduling
> for individual users and the main corporate account, etc. .. are working
> well enough with any Linux solution.

I must confess, my servers are FreeBSD, but I'm quite sure the same is
doable easily on Linux.

We use for calendars Owncloud (may migrate to nextcloud in some future
to come). That authenticates against LDAP.

For mail we use postfix, dovecot and maia for spam filtering (the last
harnesses spamassassin, clamav and few other things).

Of course, zimbra you mentioned earlier in the thread (or was it not
you?), and Kolab provide more corporate-like collaboration environments,
but I shied away from them as I set myself a goal to give users
individual handle on spam/virus filtering in email, and neither of them
has per-user spam preferences (take it with the grain of salt, I might
have missed something...)

Just my $0.02.

Valeri