[CentOS] Which is better? Microsoft Exchange 2016 or Linux-based SMTP Servers?

Wed Jul 18 19:08:43 UTC 2018
Andreas Haumer <andreas at xss.co.at>

Hi!

Am 18.07.2018 um 20:27 schrieb Johnny Hughes:
[...]
> But are you guys really telling you think the calendaring / scheduling for individual users and the main corporate account, etc. .. are working well enough with any Linux solution.

[...]

Yes, I do think so!  :-)

At least for up to about 100 users (that's the size of the businesses
we usually have as our customers)

We implemented Linux-based groupware solutions for those clients in the past
(and hopefully will do in the future) based on the following main components:

*) Linux (CentOS, SLES, OpenSUSE, depending on customers preferences)

*) Cyrus IMAP

*) Sendmail [sic]

*) OpenLDAP

*) SOGO (nobody mentioned SOGO yet, but IMHO it works very well and integrates perfectly into the Linux software stack!)

*) Fusiondirectory (was GOSa)

*) And the usuall suspects like ClamAV, SpamAssassin, ...

This solution provides:

*) Basic Mail (Relay, Server, Storage, ...)

*) Webmail (through SOGO)

*) Calendar and address book Web UI

*) Calendar and address book for a desktop client like Thunderbird (CalDAV, CardDAV)

*) Web-Based Admin UI for both admins and users (to manage their own accounts)

*) Integration with smartphones (mail, calendar, address book)

*) Features like shared mailboxes, shared calendars, ...

*) Easy integration with all typical Unix/Linux services (Fileserver, Webserver, VPN, ...)

I have no experience with Exchange (and I refuse to get any),
but I have "some" with Unix/Linux (since 1990. Yes I'm old ;-)

For me the above mentined software stack "just works" and it
does for the more advanced business use case, too.

I can't say anything about solutions for thousands of users, though, so YMMV!

Regards

- - andreas

- --
Andreas Haumer                     | mailto:andreas at xss.co.at
*x Software + Systeme              | http://www.xss.co.at/
Karmarschgasse 51/2/20             | Tel: +43-1-6060114-0
A-1100 Vienna, Austria             | Fax: +43-1-6060114-71