[CentOS] Which is better? Microsoft Exchange 2016 or Linux-based SMTP Servers?

Wed Jul 18 19:31:08 UTC 2018
Michael Schumacher <michael.schumacher at pamas.de>

> Good evening from Singapore,

> I am torn between deploying Microsoft Exchange 2016 and Linux-based
> SMTP servers like sendmail, postfix, qmail and exim.

> Relative ease of installation and configuration is an important
> consideration factor.

I think we didn't hear about some important points:

How many people in your IT-department?
How large is your organization?
What do your users need and want?
Where is your experience?

The reason I am asking the third question is that exchange is
certainly not only a mail system. It offers a lot of other
functionality like calendar and I don't know what.
For me, it was an easy decision. More than 20 years ago my
organization wanted to implement a mail system. Microsoft was a t that
time still in stone age and it may be that they didn't even have a
server based solution available at that time.
Bottom line, if you are heading for a mail server system, go for
Postfix, dovecot, etc.
Btw., we NEVER lost a single mail. I still have mails from 1998 :-)

Both paths may be suitable, but with Linux, you are pretty safe of nasty
things that do not do as you want. I know that this MS-bugs bother me
a lot at my users workstations, so why should it be different at the
server side.

Michael

Michael