[CentOS] Desktop lag with CentOS7/Mate and high CPU usage

Wed Jul 18 19:43:59 UTC 2018
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 10:40:15AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 07/18/2018 10:31 AM, James Pearson wrote:
> > We have noticed significant desktop/UI lag on CentOS7 workstations using
> > Mate when the CPU usage is high - i.e. the mouse pointer lags and moving
> > windows (e.g. terminal windows) become jumpy (not smooth)
> >
> > We didn't see (or notice) this issue with CentOS6/Gnome2
> >
> > This can easily be shown by running something like 'cpuburn'
> > (https://patrickmn.com/projects/cpuburn/) and moving a mate-terminal
> > window around the screen
> >
> > We can make things 'better' by running CPU intensive apps via 'nice'
> > (without any noticeable performance hit to the CPU intensive app) - but
> > this is a rather messy way of fixing the issue
> >
> > We can also make things better by renice'ing X to a negative nice level
> >
> > However, both these approaches seem wrong to me - as I'm probably
> > missing something straightforward here
> >
> > Does anyone know of any CentOS7/Mate settings that could be used to
> > improve desktop/UI responsiveness with high CPU usage ?
> >

> Personally, I would just move to gnmoe3 and use the Gnome Classic desktop.

you're making a couple of assumptions here:
1. that Mate is the cause, and
2. Gnome 3 with the Gnome Classic add-ons is just as good and easy to
use as is Mate. I can assure you that it isn't. It is still Gnome 3
with all the horribleness thereof.

               Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;
                     Guide me in your truth and teach me,
                         for you are God my Savior,
                    And my hope is in you all day long.