[CentOS] Finding memory usage

Fri Jul 27 16:21:02 UTC 2018
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 7/27/2018 11:50 AM, Warren Young wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2018, at 9:10 AM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com> wrote:
>> I have a CentOS 7 server that is running out of memory
> How do you know that?  Give a specific symptom.

This was brought to my attention because one program was killed by the
kernel to free memory and another program failed because it was unable
to allocate enough memory.

>> Running "free -h" gives me this:
>>               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
>> available
>> Mem:           3.4G        2.4G        123M        5.9M
> This is such a common misunderstanding that it has its own web site:
>
>     https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Right, and that website says that you should look at the "available"
number in the results from "free", which I what I was referencing.  They
say that a healthy system should have at least 20% of the memory
available.  Mine was down to 17% in what I posted in my email and it was
at about 8% when I rebooted yesterday.

--
Bowie