[CentOS] Finding memory usage

Fri Jul 27 21:59:22 UTC 2018
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 07/27/2018 09:38 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> The total number from that report is about 706M.

Did it move at all after killing that "one process"?

> My available memory has now jumped up from 640M to 1.5G after one of the
> processes (which was reportedly using about 100M) finished.
>
> I'll have to wait until the problem re-occurs and see what it looks like
> then, but for now I used the numbers from "ps axu" to add up a real
> total and then added the 706M to it and got within 300M of the memory
> currently reported used by free.
>
> What could account for a process actually using much more memory than is
> reported by ps or top?

Are you counting both resident and shared memory?  If the process that
you terminated had around 900MB of shared memory, and you aren't looking
at that value, then that'd explain your memory use.

We're kinda guessing without seeing any of your command output.