[CentOS] ARM64 CentOS AltArch release 7.5

Frederik Lotter frederik.lotter at netronome.com
Tue Jun 5 07:50:04 UTC 2018

Hi Johnny,

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 6:41 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 05/25/2018 07:33 AM, Frederik Lotter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > (1) In 7.3 CentOS released a rootfs tar for ARM64. I can no longer find
> > this under the 7.5 release. Furthermore, I could also not find anything
> on
> > the ISO that seems rootfs-like in any near complete state. The closest
> was
> > the LiveOS/rootfs.img, but it seems this is not a complete fs as yum is
> > missing components, for example.
> >

> I have created an image file that we can test.  If it does what we need,
> then we'll get it on the server in the iso dir.
>
> Can you take a look at:
> https://people.centos.org/hughesjr/CentOS-7-aarch64-Minimal-1805-01.img.xz
>
> See if that does what you want .. if not let's figure out what we need
> to do to get what you want.

Thanks a million for your time replying to my query. I honestly appreciate
it a lot.

I will try this thank you.

> > So my question is: Is there any way to still use CentOS releases on new
> > ARM64 development environments (without EFI boot support)?
> >
> > (2) In terms of UEFI firmware support in the ARM64 world (e.g. EDKII vs
> > Uboot), is there any officially supported solution for CentOS, or do you
> > simply support whatever supports the UEFI interface?
> >

> I would not call any of this 'supported' .. but the UEFI image is what
> we provide and really try to ensure is working .. for large data center
> deployment, etc. (that is really what CentOS is, right) .. BUT .. we
> would also like to provide images for install on the dev boards as well.
>
> I plan on mirroring what we are currently doing here for x86_64 (for
> cloud) on aarch64 as well, maybe this cycle .. certainly by the next
> monthly cycle.
>
> http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/
>
> There are already a couple old images there:
>
> http://cloud.centos.org/altarch/7/images/aarch64/
>
> But we should get some 1805 or 1806 images and starting to maintain
> those as well (again .. maybe this cycle [end of May updates, released
> this week, 1805], or certainly next cycle [end of June updates, released
> first week of July, 1806])

Just some feedback from my side, so we have a smart NIC that allows a
customer to select a distro going on the NIC itself (providing various
custom offload flavors).

https://www.netronome.com/products/agilio-fx/

For the first wave, I generate custom images based on Ubuntu and CentOS, so
I would love for these rootfs images to be released to some deterministic
URL location so that I can generate images with a script. Something along
the lines of what was done for 7.3 - the rootfs was available next to the
ISO images, but no longer the case with 18.04 (
http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/isos/aarch64/).

(We do eventually plan proper EFI boot support which will allow ISO support
in some shape or form, but not right now).

Thank you for all the effort in supporting the development community.