[CentOS] Dual booting Windows 10 and CentOS 7

Yan Li elliot.li.tech at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 22:54:56 UTC 2018

Yes, it's doable. I've been using Windows 10/C7 for two years on my laptop.

Windows 10 uses UEFI boot on most recent systems. Basically the BIOS is
like a bootloader and can load EFI binaries from different OSes from the
same UEFI partition. The idea is that you need to boot CentOS
installation disc in UEFI mode, and remember to mount and install CentOS
UEFI bootloader into Windows's UEFI boot partition. You can create other
C7 partitions as usual.

This is a record of what I did to my system. Hope it can help:
https://elliotli.blogspot.com/2016/11/dell-precision-15-7510-running-centos-72.html

On 06/05/2018 11:00 AM, Becker, Denis wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have an Engineering lab that was set up to dual boot with windows 7 and CentOS 6. This has worked just fine.
>
> I would like to get advice on doing the same with Windows 10.
>
> Steps I have tried -
> 1. Free up space for CentOS 7/C7 (50 gb).
> 2. Reboot to C7 installer.
> 3. Go to "SYSTEM -> INSTALLATION DESTINATION"
>
> Here I see my single Local Disk with 48.83 GiB free. I selected "I will configure partitioning" and hit "Done".
>
> This brought up -   "New CentOS installation" and at the bottom 48.83 Gib free. I would like to put my C7 in there.
>
> I set the "New mount points will use the following partitioning scheme" to "Standard Partition" and hit "+". I get a popup titled "ADD A NEW MOUNT POINT" or where I have to select a "Mount Point" of   /,   /boot,  /home,   /var,   swap,  or  biosboot.
>
> Do I have to select and define all the above all or is there a subset that will allow me to install C7? What would be reasonable sizes for the partition?
>
> After the install - how do I configure grub to Dual boot?
>
> Finally, is there a way to automate the process? I think with the W7 and C6 I was able to create on script that would execute and setup a PC automatically.
>
> Thanks - I hope this is do-able.
>
> __
>
> Denis Becker
> ITS -  Engineering
> College of Science, Engineering, and Technology
> Minnesota State University, Mankato
> Ph: 507-389-5617
> Fx: 507-389-5002

Yan Li