[CentOS] Firefox and Thunderbird freeze/crash followed by "nfs4_reclaim_open_state: Lock reclaim failed!" syslog messages

Frank Thommen

list.centos at drosera.ch
Wed Jun 6 15:26:23 UTC 2018

Hi,

since I updated my workstation from CentOS 7.4 to 7.5, Firefox and
Thunderbird (both 52.8.0, from CentOS repos) regularly freeze (or crash)
and cannot be restarted afterwards.  Trying to start them results in a
"Bus error (core dumped)" (Firefox) and "Killed" (Thunderbird).  The
system log then shows:

      kernel: NFS: nfs4_reclaim_open_state: Lock reclaim failed!

each time I try to start the applications (our homedirectories are
mounted via NFS4).  As far as I can see, no other applications are
affected.  The workstation needs to be rebooted to fix the situation.

Has anyone else seen that or knows how to debug or fix this issue? I
tried with strace and wireshark w/o finding anything helpful.

Cheers
frank