[CentOS] C7, encryption, and clevis

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jun 8 18:48:17 UTC 2018

Frank Cox wrote:
>> > so if it would work, replace shortname with short and short1?
>
> With all of this hokey-pokey surrounding licensing and mac addresses, I
> wonder if this outfit is actually still in compliance with the terms of
> their license for this software, whatever it may be?
>
> If the software licensed to run only on Machine X and Machine X has now
> been junked and replace by Machine Y,  then isn't the solution to obtain a
> license for the software for Machine Y or be out-of compliance regardless
> of the technical ability to spoof whatever it's looking for?

It's apparently a very good molecular modeling program, and to be real, my
users tell me that the company that bought the original company wants, and
I'm not making this up, $15k US to generate a license for a new
workstation. And there's two? three? workstations that run it.

And this is a US gov't agency (civilian secrot). Budget? We don' need no
steenkeen budgets, the Magic Hand of the Market will produce all the
results we need.....

       mark "not including building maintenance budgets"