[CentOS] Custom ISO With Post Installation Scripts

Earl Ramirez

earlaramirez at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 12:48:51 UTC 2018

Dear All

I have been working on a custom ISO with kickstart and a couple of post
installation scripts and would like to have the script run before the
login prompt.

The custom ISO works; however, the scripts fails because some of the
services, e.g. mariadb does not start before the server installation
has been completed and rebooted; therefore, I have been putting the
scripts in /etc/profile.d/ and after logging in the scripts will
execute and upon completion of the script will be deleted from
/etc/profile.d/.

DuckDuckGo suggested that I copy the script to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and
make it executable; however, I have tried that a few times and the
script simply does not execute.

Below is an excerpt from the ks.cfg.

export SRCDIR="/run/install/repo"
export DSTDIR="/mnt/sysimage"

# copy scripts to the destintion of the server
cp -v $SRCDIR/postinstall/script1.sh
$DSTDIR/etc/rc.d/rc.local/script1.sh

# Make scripts executable
chmod +x $DSTDIR/etc/rc.d/rc.local.sh

Since this is a ISO for a community project, don't think that tools
such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc. will work here.

Also, it is a one time execution; therefore, I did not consider using
systemd because the goal would be to have visibility while the script
is running just as I see after I login; however, just need the script
to be executed after the OS was installed and restarted and before the
login prompt.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
--