[CentOS] C7, encryption, and clevis

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Jun 10 15:38:52 UTC 2018

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> Frank, I 100% agree with you. The only case with spoofed MAC address and
> license that may have chance to stand in court will be if all below are true:
>
> 1. the company issued perpetual license.
> 2. the company does not exist
> 3. the original hardware died (be it motherboard whose embedded NIC license
> was locked to or network card)
> 4. single replacement machine (meeting requirements of license; sometimes it
> is number of CPUs/cores, memory, etc) is used to replace it [imminently
> needing to spoof MAC address]
> 5. fair effort was made to find and notify about the above whoever inherited
> rights of dissolved company

I can think of a few more:
1: The company does not exist and for some
reason no one inherited its rights.
2: The company does not exist,
it had duty to inform its customers of such events
and it failed to do so.
3. The company still has rights,
but the DRM is enforcing rights it does not have.

Of course all of these might be blown away by the DMCA.
When Sony installed malware on Windows machines,
Jerry Pournelle was afraid to tell its victims
how to get rid of it for just that reason.
http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/science/rpn/biblio/ddj/Website/articles/DDJ/2006/0602/0602o/0602o.html

Perhaps the simplest solution might
be to get the real MAC addresses right.
If you cannot dig the old NIC out of the trash,
perhaps you could use something with an adjustable MAC.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards