[CentOS] C7, encryption, and clevis

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 11 02:56:20 UTC 2018

On Sun, June 10, 2018 6:19 pm, Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2018-06-08, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Frank, I 100% agree with you. The only case with spoofed MAC address and
>> license that may have chance to stand in court will be if all below are
>> true:
>>
>> 1. the company issued perpetual license.
>> 2. the company does not exist
>
> Based on what's written below, it seems like the company does in fact
> still exist, and that therefore the organization trying to spoof MACs
> may be violating their license.  I hope the company which sells the
> program doesn't read this mailing list.

Keith, you as well as Frank originally and following Frank I all agree
that the case described in this thread may constitute violation of license
agreement. So, for the OP it may be advantageous think everything over...

That is why I tried to draw hypothetical set of conditions I under which
if all if all are met, it may not fall under violation. To show how narrow
could be the case in which it may, just may not be a violation. You
trimmed away several other conditions that are necessary as well. Anyway,
as we all agree, we should comply license agreement, or not use software
at all if we can not comply for one reason or another.

Valeri

>>> It's apparently a very good molecular modeling program, and to be real,
>>> my
>>> users tell me that the company that bought the original company wants,
>>> and
>>> I'm not making this up, $15k US to generate a license for a new
>>> workstation. And there's two? three? workstations that run it.
>>>
>>> And this is a US gov't agency (civilian secrot). Budget? We don' need
>>> no
>>> steenkeen budgets, the Magic Hand of the Market will produce all the
>>> results we need.....
>
> --keith
>
> --
> kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us