[CentOS] CentOS Kernel Support

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 19:15:55 UTC 2018

On 15 June 2018 at 21:07, Keith Keller via CentOS <centos at centos.org> wrote:
> On 2018-06-16, Johnny Hughes via CentOS <centos at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>> You agreed to an EULA that says you will not distribute things that you
>> get from that paid subscription.  You can do it, and be in violation of
>> the terms of your subscription.
>
> Is this enforceable with the GPLv2?  IIRC someone who distributes GPLv2
> source code is not permitted to restrict other people's ability to
> redistribute.  It could be an interesting legal test (that I don't think
> CentOS should test :) )

This gets asked every couple of months for the last 18+ years. This
has been the model that pretty much every enterprise company from
Cygnus before Red Hat merged with it, to SuSE and Red Hat enforce
their contracts. RMS has probably answered it so many times that he
has an autoresponder on it.. so I would say ask him and see what he
says.

The general way it has been said is that this does not equal what the
law sees as an additional restriction on the code. The restriction is
on the support contract you have with Red Ha which is not promised in
the GPL as being a right you have. The only licenses which do provide
that amount and more requirements are code which are covered under the
AGPL.

> --keith
>
> --
> kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us