[CentOS] Passwords in plain text

Richard lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net
Mon Jun 18 13:14:18 UTC 2018

> Date: Monday, June 18, 2018 07:57:56 -0500
> From: Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu>

>> I agree with you .. unfortunately, gmail does not.  They have
>> enabled it for gmail users .. so if someone from  yahoo xends a
>> mail from a yahoo address, it gets rejected by gmail accounts.
>> The list setting wrt dmarc doesn't matter .. it is totally gmail
>> enabling it.
>>
>> What our settings do is NOT send the From (as the original
>> sender), if the sender is on a domain where dmarc is enabled, so
>> that gmail does not reject it.
>>
>> If it is rejected by gmail .. it causes (eventually) .. not he
>> sender's, but the recipient's account on gmail to be disabled by
>> the mailing list as non-existent.
>
> I'm surprised no one arrived at conclusion: don't use gmail then.
>
> Valeri

[OT]

My (non-gmail) mail hosting provider also enforces the DMARC settings
that others put in place, so this isn't (just) a gmail issue. Most
people in the field find the p=reject setting that yahoo is using to
be less than optimal, and come to the conclusion that the best course
of action it to avoid sending mail (specifically to mailing lists)
from such providers. All places like my provider and gmail are doing
is enforcing the standard. That others have selected poorly
considered settings is the fault of the site making those selections,
not the site doing the enforcing of the standard.

[the DMARC notifications are, in my view, a very serious privacy
leak, so it should be avoided, but that's a whole separate off-topic
discussion.]

  - Richard