[CentOS] Specifying different options for different " smb" type gvfs mount

Toralf Lund

toralf.lund at pgs.com
Thu Jun 21 11:41:18 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm trying to use smb:// URLs with gvfs-mount and/or similar desktop
functionality to access SMB shares on different servers that support
different protocol versions and features. With some of the servers,
mount will fail with a default configuration, but I have been able to
make it work by editing some of the "client" options in
/etc/samba/smb.conf. The problem is, those changes will cause the
operation to fail on other servers; I can't seem to find a combination
of settings where all shares will work.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative way to specify client
options that will apply to only specific URLs/shares, and not everything
of SMB type? Note that I might be able to get by if I could set the "max
protocol" individually for the different file-systems or URLs.

I known that I might use mount.cifs and related "fstab" entries as an
alternative, but its password handling seems a lot less convenient.

I'm on a CentOS 7 system where all updates had been applied as of a few
days ago.

Thanks,

- Toralf