[CentOS] Semi-OT: ipmitool or ipmicfg: set BMC to use NIC 2

Jon Pruente jpruente at riskanalytics.com
Tue Jun 26 21:06:13 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 3:16 PM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> The man page isn't helping, nor have I been able to find examples that
> work.
>
> For example, the man page claims I can do ipmitool lan get active, and I
> try, and it says, "invaling lan command, get".

get isn't a recognized subcommand under lan in the ipmitool I have
installed.

> Do I set the MAC address for the lan to NIC 2? Anyone have a clue - I do
> *not* want martians on the real network.

This will be very dependent on your motherboard and its BMC capabilities.
Some can do IPMI on specific ports and not others. On the Intel S2600
series that I use they can use port 1, 2, and a dedicated RMM port, but not
ports 3 and 4. You'll need to check your mobo suppport docs to see if it
can even handle IPMI on  the second port. If so, you just configure it with
the IP setting you want for static, or configure the MAC shown by issuing
'lan print 2' in the ipmitool shell. Very often the MACs is sequential , so
you can guess it by looking at the MACs of the normal ethernet ports and
adding 1, 2 or whatever.